The World Population Distribution, Density and Growth
Question: What do you mean by the distribution of population? Name top 10 most populous country of the world.
Answer: Population distribution means the way to spaced people over the earth surface. This population distribution is not equal throughout the world. Some countries are more populated but so many countries are there with less population.
The most populous countries are China, India, United States of America, Indonesia, Brazil, Pakistan, CIS, Bangladesh, Japan and Nigeria etc.
Question: What do you mean by population density?
Answer: This is the ratio between the number of population and an area of a particular place. Population density means the number of population per unit area of land. For example in the case of India 382/square km according to the data of census 2011.
The formula used for measuring population density:
Question: Explain about the factors affecting the distribution of population.
Answer: Geographical factors:
- Water availability: Water is the basic element for living. Therefore people always try to live in an area with availability of water resources. From the historical period it had been seen that so many human settlements are developed near the river bank area.
- Landforms: This is another important factor for the concentration of human beings. Therefore plain area is more populated than hilly or uneven terrain area.
- Climate: Favorable condition of climate is required to live peacefully. Extreme type of climatic area is not more populated therefore. For example hot or cold desert area is not more populated. But on the other hand subtropical and temperate climatic area is more populated because of favorable condition for living.
- Soil: Fertile soil for cultivation is mostly required for developing a settlement. But desert area or hilly terrain is not favorable for the formation of soil. Therefore these areas are not suitable for human settlement. For example northern plain area in India is more populated because of fertile alluvial soil.
- Mineral resources: This is another important factor for developing human settlement. These minerals area also provide employment to the people. Therefore these mineral belts are more populated.
- Urbanization: Urbanization is the process of increasing population in an urban area. People always try to get more facilities to their nearby area. Therefore people always try to live in the urban area to get more facilities in their daily life.
- Industrialization: This is the process of increasing number of industries on a particular area. These industries provide more opportunity to the people for living. For example Kobe-Osaka region in Japan is more populated due to industrial factor.
Social & Cultural factors:
- Cultural development or the peace of a society helps to grow number of population on a particular area. These cultural and social developments depend on government policy also.